Monday, July 2, 2012

Blue ~ Blueberry Slab Pie


It wasn't hard picking the fruit that I would turn into today's tribute, but what to make.  When I thought about the desserts my mom would bake, pies were always one of her favorites.  However, since pie isn't necessary a "portable" treat, I decided on a slab pie, which I've come to love more than the round, deep-dish ones.

Ahh, blueberries.  Not only the perfect color, but one of my favorite summertime fruits.  It's also one of the only three indigenous fruits of America--cranberries and concord grapes being the other two.  So how patriotic is that!

Growing up in Maryland, my mother made huckleberry pies, muffins, and jam.  They were abundant on their property and all of us kids loved to go picking for the rewards that would come--eating all the wonderful baked goods.  The huckleberry is similar in taste to it's cultivar cousin the blueberry, however, smaller in size, so we had to pick a lot to get a pie.  My grandfather, years later, decided to plant a grove of blueberry plants, which produced some pretty excellent pies at our picnics too...and was easier on the back to pick:-D

Blueberry Slab Pie
1 recipe of Perfect Pie Dough
Instead of dividing it into fourths, divide the dough in half and wrap in plastic.  Chill for a couple of hours or overnight.

Blueberry Filling:
2 lbs. (about 8 cups) fresh blueberries, washed, dried and picked over to remove stems, etc.
1 cup dried blueberries
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
5 T cornstarch
juice of 1/2 lemon
2 T unsalted butter

Preheat oven to 400F-degrees.
Prepare the blueberries and place in a large bowl along with the dried blueberries.  In a smaller bowl, whisk together the sugar and cornstarch.  Pour over the fruit and with a spatula, fold in.


Roll out one of the "half" rounds of pie dough to fit a 10" x 15" baking sheet that has been lightly sprayed with a non-stick baking spray.


Spoon the fruit mixture over the pie dough.  Squeeze 1/2 lemon over the filling and dot with the unsalted butter.

Roll out the second half of the pie dough and lay on top of the filling.  Any "overhand" should be tucked under.  Flute the edges--I use my mom's "2-finger, thumb" flute!  Cut some slits in the top crust to allow steam to escape.  I did three across and four down for a total of 12 slits.

Place the baking sheet on another baking sheet, lined with parchment paper (to catch any spills, should they occur).  Bake in the oven for 35 to 40 minutes.  Check the pie about 20 minutes into the baking and if the edges are getting too dark, make some aluminum foil strips to cover and protect them.

When the crust is an overall golden brown and the blueberries filling is bubbling through the slits made in the top crust, remove from the oven and allow to cool.  If you're making the glaze, which I highly recommend, spread on the crust while still warm from the oven.

Glaze:
2 T unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
1 cup confectioners' sugar
2 T maple syrup (I use a Grade B)

Use a spoon to "smoosh" the butter and mix in the confectioners' sugar.  Add the maple syrup and continue stirring until you have a smooth glaze.  Spoon dollops over the top of the pie, then, use an off-set spatula to smooth it all over.




Let the pie cool completely, about 1 hour before slicing.  (This can easily be made the day before for your picnic, but I suggest hiding it from your family unless you want half of it missing!)

So, here's my tribute to the Red ~ White & Blue!  Have a wonderful and safe 4th of July picnic.  Tomorrow, I will draw the name for June's apron and shortly have July's Give-Away up. Enjoy!




23 comments:

  1. I have never had slab pie! Oh my I must try it. But only if I get the corners, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so clever...the corners are what my husband and I fight over!! More crust--oh yeah, that's your blog "Crazy for Crust!!" Love you, XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have certainly created a wonderful trio of desserts to celebrate the 4th of July!! All of them look sooooo delicious! And I have enjoyed remembering with you the good times we had every year at the picnic at Mom's. Hugs, Barb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and I wish I was packing them up to take to Mom's tomorrow...oh, how I wish:-D Love you, Sis XOXO

      Delete
  4. One of each, please! Your red, white and blue tribute looks fantastic!
    DeniseB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good thing I have friends near by to share with or I'd have to eat these all myself! XOXO

      Delete
  5. The pie looks amazing - that would be my favourite if I was going to your 4th July picnic. I love blueberries but they are very expensive to buy over here. To have them in a pie would be a real treat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here too they're expensive, except at the farmer's markets or if I go to one of the local farms and pick them myself. It's probably why my mom sent us out into the woods to scrounge for huckleberries:-) Blueberry and Cherry are my husband's favorites...and apple! XOXO

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. I would love to have you over for a picnic--lots of guests rooms! XOXO

      Delete
  7. slab pie! great idea! and blueberries....yummy.
    stamping sue
    http://stampingsueinconnecticut.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet this dessert is right up your alley! Have a wonderful holiday and stay cool:-D

      Delete
  8. Hello my Sweet friend~

    Happy 4th of July for tomorrow! I hope you are well and that you are enjoying your Summer.

    Love you
    Suzanne
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dearest friend ~ I'm getting there...just have to figure out how to let go of the anger from losing Kelly. I think I'm going to take up "kick boxing." LOL!! Thinking of you and your family and wishing I was there to knit with you. XOXO

      Delete
  9. Hello Susan, Have a wonderful celebration tomorrow - I would definitely choose the slab pie, and fight you all for the corners! We celebrate 4th July too, it is my husband's birthday - and I just know that he'd go for the toasted almond meringues. Enjoy your celebrations and your picnic, we'll be thinking of you.xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Birthday to your husband; how nice it is that your son is home for the celebration. Enjoy your day, XOXO

      Delete
  10. I really like the idea of the glaze on this pie. I have a similar slab pie recipe (called apple pie bars, don't know why) that has a beaten egg white "glaze." One of those old, old recipes from my aunt. Was supposed to do that one for the 4th, no deal at BIWB, though. Enjoy your holiday, Susan! Lv, me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to have to come up with a new dessert for tomorrow--my husband proudly gave most of this pie away to his employees;-( Oh, well, it's nice to share; keeps my hips within reason. LOL!! Happy 4th dear friend, XOXO

      Delete
  11. Slab pie---how amazingly delicious this looks! Like others have said--crust is a favorite and along with the blueberry filling--what could be better? Enjoy your July 4th celebrations! xoxo ♥
    Martha Ellen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my mother would have loved the idea! It puts a whole new spin on pie. Happy 4th of July, dear friend...hope you have electricity! XOXO

      Delete
  12. That looks sooooo good. I will be trying that this weekend. It is right up my alley. I wish we were closer. I would enjoy sitting on the porch with a cup of coffee and a piece of pie.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's a wonderful-looking pie--great idea to make it in a large pan!

    ReplyDelete