Sunday, July 8, 2012

Lemon~Ginger Snaps

Ginger Snaps are one of my favorite cookies from childhood; not because they were homemade, but instead it was the cookie my grandparents had in their cookie jar when I stopped in after getting off the school bus.   It was the conversations with them, seeing what my grandfather might be building in his wood shop, or helping my grandmother snap green beans from the garden that made this experience so memorable.

When I decided to create my own ginger snap, I knew it would not only have the wonderful spices associated with this cookie, but I'd pump up the flavor with some lemon bits and mini diced candied ginger! I came across both of these ingredients at King Arthur Catalogue, but if you don't have them, substitute the zest of one lemon and dice your own candied ginger.

Lemon~Ginger Snaps
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup shortening
3/4 cup + 2 T light brown sugar, packed
1 large egg
3 T molasses
1 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
3/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1/2 tsp. ground cardamon
1 tsp. freshly ground nutmeg
2 1/4 cups King Arthur all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. Kosher salt
1/3 cup mini diced candied ginger
1/3 cup Lemon Bits (or the zest of one lemon)

1/2 cup granulated sugar to roll cookies in

Preheat oven to 375F-degrees.  Line a baking sheet with parchment and set aside.
In a stand mixer, using the paddle attachment, cream the butter, shortening, and brown sugar together until fluffy.  Add the molasses, egg and lemon zest, if using.  Beat well, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.

In a medium bowl, measure out all the dry ingredients (sans the ginger and lemon bits).   Use a whisk to mix all the ingredients and then, add to the bowl of the stand mixer.  On low, mix the ingredients together--don't over mix.  Stir in the mini chopped candied ginger and lemon bits, is using.
Use a two-tablespoon sized scoop to measure the mounds.  Roll in the granulated sugar and place on the baking sheet, about 2-inches apart.


Bake in the preheated oven for 8 to 10 minutes (my cookies took 9 minutes!)  Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before transferring them to a rack to cool completely.  The recipe makes 2 dozen cookies.

The tops are slightly cracked and the aroma in your kitchen will be delightful.  I think a nice cold glass of lemonade with the cookies would be refreshing on a hot day...I know Ari and Maddie would like that.

My grands will be here in less than two weeks and I want to make cookies with them, but not just for the baking experience; I want us to sit down and share what the adventures we've had during the day.  They'll be doing their own scrapebooks to keep the memory of Camp Mimi so when we're apart, it will be something they can turn to...and remember. Enjoy!

I'd also like to thank my dear friend Ellen from Bake it with Booze blog--who gave me another Versatile Blogger award.  I'm thrilled to be a part of such a wonderful community of talented "bloggers!" XOXO

22 comments:

  1. Hi Susan...I'm so glad you added lemon to your recipe. As I've said before, I love anything that has lemon as an ingredient. I know you are counting the days before your grandchildren arrive....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lemon is one of my favorites too and I have to say these lemon bits really pack a lot of flavor into anything I bake. I made a blueberry buttermilk bundt cake on the 4th and added a cup to the batter; that was a good combination too!
      How's the packing coming? I love the new house and can't wait to see how you decorate it. XOXO

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much for your continued support of me and this move. Your comments are always taken to heart....sending love back to you!

      Delete
  2. Ginger cookies with lemon...genious! two of my favorite flavors. be thankful that you get to see your grandbabies!!!!!
    stamping sue
    http://stampingsueinconnecticut.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry your daughter-in-law hasn't stay in close contact with you, but one day, those girls will be older and be able to make their own choices. Stay cool! XOXO

      Delete
  3. Oh, I could veganize these!! Lemon and ginger are a match made in heaven.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should experiment making them Vegan because our older daughter follows that diet. I know you can replace the butter easily, I'm just not sure about the egg. Let me know what you come up with.
      I can't help it...I relate to the Julia Child method of baking--everything is better with butter! XOXO

      Delete
    2. Ground flax seeds whisked in water!
      Jane x

      Delete
    3. Susan, I made these today and replaced the butter and shortening with vegan margarine,and the egg with 2tsp ground flax whisked into 1/2 cup water. I couldn't wait to try them so had a couple (only two honestly!!)while still warm. They are so incredibly delicious. Moved to the top of my favourite cookie list!
      Jane x

      Delete
  4. Oh my, Susan...Did you already have the Versatile Blogger? How did I miss that?

    I've always wanted to make ginger cookies with the ginger. I only recently got some candied ginger for my cupcakes. These cookies look soooo good and I'd love to make them!

    Can't wait to hear about Camp Mimi...Such lucky kids! :) Lv, me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's okay...like shoes, can you really have too many "Versatile Blogger" awards!! LOL!
      I did the t-shirts this morning with Camp Mini on them; now I need to put everything together in their "laundry basket" for their camp experience! Can't wait to share with all of you, XOXO

      Delete
    2. I'm glad you understand. I'm kinda new to this sort of thing.

      Delete
  5. I’m seriously drooling over here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My hubby took a bag this morning to share with his staff--good thing, I probably would have eaten all of them! XOXO

      Delete
  6. Another wonderful cookie recipe for me to try out on the boys! I love both flavours so I'll be interested to try them together...mind you, I'll have to be very strict with myself over the candied ginger to make sure the full measure goes in!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummy! I love lemon cookies. Sounds like an awesome treat!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Susan:
    I just received the wonderful package from Jane and so look forward to wearing your beautiful apron and giving it my best in the kitchen. Here goes...Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A BIG welcome to the Sisterhood! I can't wait to follow your time with the apron. It's been such a wonderful experience and every day I'm thankful that Meggie thought of it. XOXO

      Delete
  9. Susan, ginger snaps were one of my Daddy's favorite cookies. So wish he were here to make them for him. Food has such strong memories of my loved ones who are no longer here.
    Camp Mimi sounds like so much fun. I am at the beach with two of my grands and we are having the best of times. We looked for sharks teeth today and found six! They are over the moon about that! xoxo ♥
    Martha Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think in our household, gingerbread is at the top of the list, no matter what the season is. I know, there are so many times when I bake and have changed a few things from my mother's recipes, I wish both she and my dad were here to try them.
    One week before the grands come--aren't grandchildren just the best! I can just imagine the excitement of yours finding shark teeth, XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  11. My husband LOVES ginger, and adding the lemon to the cookies is a nice twist on flavor:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. The two make a "lovely marriage" of flavor--meant to be! Happy Baking dear friend, XOXO

    ReplyDelete