Sunday, July 29, 2012

Strawberry Shortcake ala Ari & Maddie

We didn't get a chance to make cupcakes this week, but found some beautiful strawberries at the farmer's market that enticed us to think Strawberry Shortcake.  I wanted to make up a "shortcake" that was easy for them mix up, as well as, to eat.  This soft moist cake, baked in one of my specialty pans, was perfect for my budding chefs to provide a well for all the strawberries they piled on.
Strawberry Shortcake
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
3 large eggs
2 tsp. Vanilla extract
2 cups King Arthur all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup milk

Preheat oven to 350F-degrees.  Spray muffin pan or mini Mary Jane pan with a baking spray.

In a stand mixer, using a paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar thoroughly until fluffy.  Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
Scrape down the sides of the bowl between adding the eggs.  Mix the vanilla into the milk.  Whisk together the dry ingredients and add to the bowl.  Add the sour cream and milk and beat on low until combined, then, raise the speed to medium and beat 1 minute more.

Scoop batter into the openings of the muffin pan or Mary Jane pan.  Bake for 18 minutes or a skewer comes out cleanly when poked in the middle and golden brown.  Let cool slightly and then transfer to a rack to cool completely.

Maddie liked using my strawberry corer to prepare the berries.  Place in a bowl and sprinkle with about a 1/3 cup of sugar; cover with plastic wrap and let the berries macerate.

To assemble, spoon the berries into the "well" and top with whip cream (heavy cream whipped, then 3 T confectioners' sugar and 1 tsp. vanilla extract).
The kids gave it a "V" for Victory--great teamwork!

Afterwards, Ari had to take a rest...
Maddie and I cleaned up:-) Enjoy!
 

17 comments:

  1. You are such a patient and wonderful grandma! Ari, Maddie, great teamwork!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have wonderful grandchildren that bring joy to my life...and a lot of laughter!

      Delete
  2. I agree,great teamwork!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so much fun! i agree, you are the best grandma susan! i'll have to make these little cakes with my grands too! thank you for sharing. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you do muffins, just split them in half...I should have added that.

      Delete
  4. Cute story and photos....I like the idea of an easy recipe for the shortcake. I agree with Lori, "You are the best grandma"!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd say Susan those kiddies had a great time and plus they get to eat it which actually looks yummy!!!

    I see you are following in your mother's footsteps!

    Keep well

    Amanda :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're big shoes to fill, but I believe tradition not only tells us where we've been, but where we're going. Thank you, Amanda

      Delete
  6. Strawberry shortcake one of my favorite deserts! wish I could have been there to help make them and eat, of course. enjoy the rest of your time with your babies.
    stamping sue
    http://stampingsueinconnecticut.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun and they both have decided they NEED one of those strawberry corers at their home--I'm training them well with gadgets. LOL!

      Delete
  7. You are filling Maddie and Ari's memory-banks with the most delightful things, Susan. You are a truly wonderful grandma. I'm not even going to try this one on my lot...I had to make a double batch of your chocolate chip shortbread cookies the other day (can you imagine how many that made!) because Jonny wants to take a whole lot of them back to share with his friends.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elaine, the good news with those cookies are they ship very well and stay fresh a long time, so you can send a care package now and again. Also, Jonny could learn how to make them:-D XOXO

      Delete
  8. Memories of times like this will be talked about long after we are all gone.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ari left last night and said, "I wish I could stay as long as Maddie can." I wish he could have too! It's very quiet this morning with just the one:-) XOXO

      Delete
  9. Susan what a wonderful grandmother you are! Your shortcakes look divine--I know those kids will always remember all the special times you spend with them. xoxo ♥
    Martha Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, your strawberry shortcake looks delicious! So glad the grandkids enjoyed their time with you. Ah, too bad Ari had to leave already.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Strawberry shortcake...my favorite! Looks like a great experience for them baking with you! What a fun time!
    DeniseB

    ReplyDelete