Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Lemon~Ginger Chip Bars

This week, it's just Maddie & Me.  We both miss Ari, although when I said I was going to bake this morning, Maddie announced, "I don't have to share, right, Mimi?"  They both love to bake and that makes me happy because it's my passion.  I have such great memories of baking with my Mom and her letting me discover how much fun it is...never a chore, and they're discovering that too. 

I couldn't quite decide what I was going to bake until I remember a new product I had bought from King Arthur Flour a while back--Lemon Juice Powder.  It provides a really nice boost of lemon flavor to cookies, cakes, icings, sauces and glazes--perfect for this bar.  Maddie seemed open to my experimenting with it as well as adding Lemon Chips and Ginger Chips.

Lemon ~Ginger Chip Bars
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
1 cup confectioners' sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
2 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. Lemon Juice Powder
2 3/4 cup King Arthur all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. Kosher salt
1/3 cup Mini Ginger Chips
3/4 cup Lemon Chips

Preheat oven to 350F-degrees.  Spray a 9" x 13" baking pan (I used my spring-form pan) with a non-stick baking spray.

In the bowl of a stand mixer, using the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugars thoroughly.  
Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
Add the eggs, one at a time and beat well after each addition.  Add the vanilla and lemon and mix on medium for 1 minute.  Scrape down the sides once again.  
Add the dry ingredients and mix on low to combine, then on medium for 1 minute.  Stir in the lemon and ginger chips.  Spoon cookie batter into the prepared pan.  Spread to smooth.
Always let your assistant lick the utensils to test the batter--YUM!
Bake in the preheated oven about 18 minutes or until golden brown and firm to touch.
Let cool 10 minutes.  If you have a spring-form pan, remove the sides to cool thoroughly.  Mix up glaze.

Glaze:
1 cup confectioners' sugar
1 T Light Karo Syrup
1/4 tsp. Lemon Juice Powder
2 T hot water

Blend all ingredients together and do your best "Jackson Pollack" to drizzle the glaze on top!
I asked Maddie if she wanted to try a bar and she said, "Mimi, can I have the center one?"
"Yes, you may!  Enjoy!!

10 comments:

  1. I'm sure Maddie is thrilled on her one-on-one time with Mimi!
    The Lemon Ginger Chip Bars look fab!
    DeniseB

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow these look fork-licking DELICIOUS! I have never had or seen ginger chips and lemon chips before....sounds really fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find the most interesting ingredients in the King Arthur Flour catalogue to inspire my baking;-)

      Delete
  3. Maddie is so cute - and probably already knows more about baking than I do. Such wonderful times. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is a bright little girl...in fact both kids are when it comes to baking. They're like little "sponges" soaking up everything and so willing to help. It's important to always inspire them to try something new--that's what my mother taught me! XOXO

      Delete
  4. Fabulous! I never knew there such things as lemon chips! great! Maddie looks like she is having the best time.
    stamping sue
    http://stampingsueinconnecticut.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd be surprised at all the new ingredients there are in baking. I wish my mother was still alive to see some of them--she would have really loved the lemon chips, for sure! XOXO

      Delete
  5. Those bars look yummy! I've never used lemon or ginger chips, but they sound great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The bars sound delicious; the grandkids are adorable; I'm sure you miss Ari.
    I've not used a 9 x 13 springform pan. I notice that you have used one a couple of times since I started following your blog. Do you always use it when a 9 x 13 pan is called for?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmm, lemon juice powder...Oh, the possibilities, my baking friend! I love this combination, almost cocktail-like, too. ;) Maddie sure looked happy with her finished creation! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete