Thursday, July 12, 2012

Double Chocolate Chip Banana Bread


It's been at least two weeks since I've had to bake using up bananas--that my husband refuses to eat because they're "past their prime"--Seriously!
It just so happens that my King Arthur Flour July 2012 baker's catalogue came the other day and inside, besides some great new products, it had some new recipes and this was one of them that I wanted to try.  I've done a chocolate chip banana bread, but never a chocolate~chocolate chip and who doesn't need a kick of chocolate to get through the week:-)  How Perfect.

The only change I made was deciding to use my mini-loaf baking pan instead of a 9" x 5" loaf pan.
I thought..."wouldn't it be great to create little loaves to give as gifts or to easily freeze?"  So today, I have some workman here trimming up some of the trees in our yard that have gone wild and these make the perfect little treat with a bottle of water to say thank you!
Of course, I'm not sure they care that I've taken the time to wrap them with a bow and all, but nonetheless they'll have to because for me, Presentation is Everything!

Double Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
from King Arthur Flour Catalogue, July 2012

1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp. Vanilla extract or Vanilla Paste (which is what I used)
1 cup mashed banana (about 2 medium)
1/2 cup sour cream
1 cup King Arthur All-Purpose flour
2 T cocoa
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. Kosher salt
1 cup mini Semi-sweet chocolate chips

1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts (optional--I added it to the batter, but wasn't called for)

Preheat oven to 350F-degrees.  Lightly grease one 9" x 5" loaf pan or a mini loaf pan.  
In a stand mixer, using the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar until light.  Beat in the egg, scraping down the sides of the bowl.  Add the vanilla, mashed bananas and sour cream and beat just to combine.  In a separate bowl, mix the dry ingredients, then, stir into the batter.  Finally, stir in the mini chips and nuts (if using).
Notice~the batter is a light tan, but the color enriches as it bakes
I used my one-quarter cup scoop to measure out the batter into the 8 mini loaf sections of the pan.

Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes.  A regular loaf pan will take between 45 to 60 minutes. Use a cake tester or wooden skewer inserted in the center--when done it comes out clean.

I realize it may be too hot in some areas to bake, but if you have a cat like my Bailey, he gets me up between 4:00 to 4:30 a.m. and baking isn't a problem...then finds a sunny spot to go back to sleep:-D Enjoy!
Who Me????


22 comments:

  1. My kitchen has been 28C and I've still baked. I love the heat!
    This is another recipe I can veganise!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I prefer heat too...just not humidity! This bread was so moist and flavorful; I know you'd love it. XOXO

      Delete
  2. I have tree removal/trimming tomorrow, but won't have time to bake...How super nice of you, Susan! I'm sure they will be very, very happy. XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always baked for anyone who has done work for us (of course, on top of paying them:-D). It's something my mother did and after all, they're helping to take care of my home and I so appreciate their skills.
      Now, I have some spaces to add more perennials! XOXO

      Delete
  3. you are so lovely susan. lucky workers to know you. i MUST make this, i think i can manage. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori ann, it's probably why I don't open a bakery--I would give everything away because I just get such pleasure out of baking for people. This is an easy recipe and I love that KAF tests everything so thoroughly--I always feel confident is going to turn out. XOXO

      Delete
  4. This looks delicious! Anything that starts with "Double Chocolate" is a winner in my book. I have some "almost past their prime" bananas on my counter and some new neighbors moving in tomorrow... I think this would make the perfect "welcome to the neighborhood" gift. Assuming, of course, I don't eat it all first :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kat, That's why I did "mini loaves"--some to give and still a few for us! Have a great weekend, dear friend XOXO

      Delete
  5. This sounds so yummy! I love double chocolate anything...the more chocolate, the better! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Made these this morning after the ripe bananas were staring at me on the counter! Just veganized it with earth balance butter, egg replacer and applesauce instead of sour cream. Baking as we speak.... Hurry up and cook!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The photos you sent me looked wonderful--you should do a blog changing my recipes to Vegan. Have a great day, sweetie XOXO

      Delete
  7. These mini banana bread loaves look heavenly! I really would love one for the breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Breakfast, mid-day snack, or dessert--this really is a good recipe and may even make me not frown so much when I see ripening bananas!! XOXO

      Delete
  8. Bailey is so adorable! What a charmer! And your banana bread looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is...most of the time; maybe not so much at 3:30 a.m.!!

      Delete
  9. I saw this in KAF catalogue also Susan---It looks awesome in mini loaves. Like you said chocolate and chocolate chips with bananas-what could be better? I still bake in the heat--am I nuts or what? Can I come and work in your garden for you? So nice to treat those that help us! xoxo ♥
    Martha Ellen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martha Ellen~You're welcomed to come anytime! My hubby says I should have a B & B...hmmmmmmmmm:-D

      Delete
  10. This looks really yummy. We are a family of banana bread lovers. "Hi Bailey" from Ed, Lily, Cali, Sierra, Annie & Audrey.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Susan,

    Thank you for following and joining my blog. I am now your newest follower.
    I am a fan of Banana cake and when I do get a chance to bake its one of my favourite recipes and soon disappears in this household. I love the idea mini Banana bread and also admire the presentation greatly.

    Keep well

    Amanda :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bailey would be in big trouble at my house. I have Yoda, who wants outside early and sometimes wakes me up early, but not THAT early!
    Love your beautifully wrapped breads! Makes a lovely presentation. Bet they taste wonderful too!
    DeniseB

    ReplyDelete