Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Just Blueberry Cookies



Tomorrow, our grandson, Ari is the first to arrive for Camp Mimi (Maddie on Friday!)  With this in mind, I decided to create a cookie that I know he will love to have for a snack--Just Blueberry, after his plane trip.

He's definitely our "blueberry boy" and has been from the time he could eat solid food.  I remember our morning trips for breakfast to our favorite place in Lexington--The Coffee Pub, with his mama and me.  The first thing he wanted was a Blueberry Smoothie...everytime!  It's no wonder the first color that he recognized was Blue, which is still a favorite, but I kind of think Red has replaced it (because of his favorite superhero, Spider~Man!)

Just Blueberry Cookies
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
1 1/2 cups light brown sugar, packed
1/3 cup + 2 T granulated sugar
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
2 tsp. Vanilla extract
2 3/4 cup King Arthur all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. Kosher salt
2 cups dried blueberries

Preheat oven 350F-degrees.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat and set aside.

Measure the dried blueberries in a 2-cup measure and cover with boiling water.  Let set for about 5 minutes and then drain thoroughly.

In the bowl of a stand mixer, using the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugars until light and fluffy.  Add the eggs and vanilla extract and mix thoroughly.  In a separate bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients and add to the batter. Mix just until incorporated.   Lastly, stir in the blueberries.

Use a 1/4-cup scoop to measure out the dough onto the prepared baking sheet, about 2-inches apart.
 Bake in the preheated oven for 12 minutes, or until golden brown.
 Let rest on the sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a rack to cool completely.  These cookies will be great with milk or an ice cold glass of lemonade.  I know Ari is going to love them; how could he not.  Enjoy!!


19 comments:

  1. Those look really good! My daughter is a blueberry girl. She'd love these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're the perfect snack cookie for kids or grown-ups:-D

      Delete
  2. Susan as soon as I saw the spiderman plate I knew what you were up to. It's so much fun having the grands. We're flying to New England soon to visit our grandson who is in a local community theater play. He'll be flying back with us for a visit. Our other two grandsons will join in the fun. We're so excited! I'm sure your grandson will enjoy his time with you. Heck--Camp Mimi sounds like somewhere I'd like to go! Enjoy yourself friend! xoxo ♥
    Martha Ellen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're really going to have a houseful! It's going to be so much fun to have the kids together again--it's been since last June when we met up at Disney World, which I'd never recommend during that month to anyone. Have fun with your guys--we'll have to compare notes. XOXO

      Delete
  3. I'm not sure how old he is, but I hope you have read Blueberries for Sal to him. It is a great book. I can't wait to try the cookies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've ordered the book and hope it comes before he leaves--thank you for the recommendation. XOXO

      Delete
  4. Hi Susan....thanks for the recipe. I plan on saving it, to use when my grandchildren come for their next visit! Love the added touch of the spiderman plate....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spider~Man, rockets, dinosaurs, and anything science-oriented is his thing; so different from raising girls, but it's fun and certainly keeps me on my toes. XOXO

      Delete
  5. I adore blueberries too! These cookies look marvelous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Ari's dad has eaten more than him--the blueberry doesn't fall far from the bush! XOXO

      Delete
  6. Just got some dried blueberries from Sam's and was thinking pie. Now, I'm thinking cookies...or bars! Have a great time with your grandkids, Susan. :))

    ReplyDelete
  7. blueberries are a good thing. good for Ari for liking fruit instead of chocolate!
    stamping sue
    http://stampingsueinconnecticut.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope Camp Mimi is going along swimmingly! I suspect you are all having a great time!
    The cookies look so good. I'm sure Ari loved his custom made blueberry treats!
    DeniseB

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love blueberries, and these cookies sound great–especially with lemondae! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope you are having a wonderful time at Camp Mimi. I shall make a batch of these for Harry.

    ReplyDelete
  11. enjoy your time with those two, and i hope you will share some photos of them. x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bet you're having fun at Camp Mimi! The cookies look great and I'm sure Ari enjoyed his special treat!
    DeniseB

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well Mimi dear, this cookie recipe is PERFECT!!! And just in time for when we go to Maine and harvest our little patch of blueberries.

    This seems healthy too. And unforgettable, like you.

    Love,

    S

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love anything blueberry. This is going in my recipe book. I posted the fun I had with the travelling apron and introduced the next 'sister'. I feel honoured to have been a part of something so meaninful and having met all you ladies through our blogs has been so sweet. Deb

    ReplyDelete