Monday, July 16, 2012

Raspberry~Lemon Snack Cake

Inspiration just abounds when summer comes and all the beautiful fruit is available at the farmer's markets. 

I bought some raspberries, not necessarily knowing what I'd make with them until I got an email from King Arthur Flour with a recipe for "microwaveable" Lemon Curd!!  Oh yeah...you heard me.  Can you believe it?  I have to say I was a little skeptical too until I made some up last evening and then the light bulb went on what I'd make with the raspberries:-D

Lemon and raspberries are just a perfect combination and the curd in the batter, well, even I was surprised how wonderful it turned out!
Isn't it just scrumptious looking.  If you're a lemon-person, like myself (my mother and my sister, Barbara) then this is for you and it's so easy that you will never hesitate again to make up a batch.  It's great on scones or biscuits, use it as a filling for cupcakes or a lemon-poppy seed muffin, or sandwiched between meringue shells or shortbread cookies.  Here is the link for Microwaveable Lemon Curd.  I do suggest making it up several hours (or even the night before as I did) so it thickens properly.

Raspberry~Lemon Snack Cake
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup + 3T granulated sugar
3 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 cup Lemon Curd (homemade or store bought)
1/4 cup sour cream
2 1/2 cups King Arthur all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. Kosher salt
1/2 cup milk
3 to 4 cups fresh raspberries

Confectioners' sugar to dust the top

Preheat oven to 325F-degrees.  Brush a 9" x 13" baking pan (I use my springform pan) with melted butter and set aside.

Wash and pick over the fresh raspberries.  I like to dry them "stem-side" down on double paper toweling to make sure all water is removed.
In a stand mixer, using the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar thoroughly.  Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well between each addition and scraping down the sides of the bowl as need.
Add the vanilla, lemon curd and sour cream and mix to combine.


In a separate bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients and then, alternate between adding the dry ingredients and the milk, starting and ending with the dry ingredients.

Spread half of the batter into the bottom of the baking dish.  Arrange half of the raspberries (1 1/2  to 2 cups) on top.

Repeat, spreading the rest of the batter, gently over this layer and top with the remaining raspberries.

 Bake in preheated oven 40 to 45 minutes.  If the sides look like their darkening too fast, cut a sheet of aluminum foil in half and "tent" the sides.
The cake is done when a wooden skewer (or cake test) inserted in the center comes out cleanly and the cake is a golden brown.
Allow to cool in the pan about 1 hour before serving.  After about 30 minutes, I removed the "sides" of the pan so it would cool a little quicker (the kitchen smelled so good and I couldn't wait any longer to try a piece!)
Lastly, once cool, I dusted the top of the cake generously with confectioners' sugar before cutting it into squares.
What I like about this cake is that it turned out moist and yet held up to being picked up and eaten...hence the "Snack Cake" name.  Enjoy!




 

23 comments:

  1. What a beautiful cake, Susan. I love raspberries and I am mad for cake. Yes, I would put the tea on and we'd have tea amongst all the crazy cats. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love your recipes Susan! Raspberry-Lemon Snack Cake--the lemon curd must make for a mighty moist cake--right up my alley! I'm trying that microwaved lemon curd--did you put the lemon zest in the curd? I'm ready for tea and your cake. xoxo ♥
    Martha Ellen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I used the zest of two of the lemons and "rubbed" it in the sugar. KAF calls for putting it in a food processor, but since I use Baker's Sugar,which is extra fine, I just did the rub.
      Don't I wish all of my blogging friends could stop by for cake! XOXO

      Delete
  3. Mmmmmmmmmmmm. Looks fab. And I can't wait to try the microwavable lemon curd. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh susan these are my favorites! raspberries and lemon! yum yum. can i make this without a microwave? we don't use one. this looks and sounds so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you could on the stove top...it's worth trying. This cake is yummy and one of my favorite combinations. XOXO

      Delete
  5. Oh yes, my mouth is watering! Lemon anything is my favorite! I am so glad you tried the microwave lemon curd---I saw the recipe on KAF website and wondered if it could possibly work---I've always made it the old fashioned way. Love you, Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great like the microwave peanut brittle recipe you gave me. Soooo easy!!

      Delete
  6. Raspberry and lemon curd! That's a killer combo! The cake looks splendid, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The microwave method made it easy; besides in the heat, who wants to stand over a hot stove stirring curd:-) The fruit in the farmer's market here is just so beautiful, it's hard to decide what to make. Happy Baking, dear friend, XOXO

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. It was--I couldn't help, but eat 3 pieces!!

      Delete
  8. Oh Susan....this recipe is perfect for my taste! You know how I love lemon....and raspberries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know...I wish I lived near by and could bring you a "hunk!"

      Delete
  9. Lemon and raspberries...what a great combination! Sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of those tried and true combinations I love to put together. Thanks, XOXO

      Delete
  10. That combination just makes my taste buds sing with happiness - and what I particularly like is the way the raspberries are left whole. Scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was just a simple cake, but those raspberries really "dressed" it up! And, I do recommend trying that lemon curd recipe--so easy and the results are amazing. XOXO

      Delete
  11. Great combo!!! Susan you know me I'm not a chocolate person at all but lemon with fruit........fabulous!
    stamping sue
    http://stampingsueinconnecticut.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do know you're not a chocolate person--LOL! This would have been a great snack to make for our Tuesday Stamper's Get Together, right! XOXO

      Delete
  12. This looks scrumptious! I think I have a few more raspberries in my yard to pick, but not enough to make this. Maybe by next year my plants will start producing more. Love raspberries! And with the lemon curd in the cake... yum!

    ReplyDelete